Are school libraries your passion? Do you enjoy connecting and collaborating with other school librarians? Do you want to add a leadership position to your resume?
The Nebraska School Librarians Association is currently seeking school library professionals to submit their interest to become an elected board member or a committee member. NSLA would love include school library professionals across the state and from a variety of school library environments. The following positions are open. Please contact Courtney Pentland--Election Committee Chair--if you are interested or if you have any questions at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Board member positions are elected positions. The membership will vote for board member candidates in Spring 2020.
Duties, which begin July 1:
● Serve two-year term; elected in even years
● Notify the Executive Board of all Board meetings
● Prepare board minute highlights for NSLA News; update
● Do other assignments as delegated
● Record the minutes of all meetings of the Association and Board and
distribute minutes to board members
Board Members at Large (2 positions open)
Duties, which begin July 1:
● Serve two-year term
● Be the policy making body of the Association
● Fill vacancies in office until the next election
● Approve the slate of candidates prepared by the Election Committee
● Break ties in the election of officers
● Determine the fiscal year for the Association
● Examine and approve the annual budget
● Recommend dues which must be approved by a majority vote at the
annual business meeting
● Prepare and submit proposals regarding the nature and scope of the
annual and long-range programs of the Association
● Serve as the custodian of Association property
● Attend the summer planning retreat
● Attend conference
● Approve budget category override
Treasurer (1 year appointment)
● Receive all monies due the Association
● Disbursement by check all bills approved by the Executive Board
● Assist the Finance Committee and the officers of the Association in
the preparation of an annual budget
● Preparation of reports on financial status for all regularly scheduled
● Preparation of the Annual Financial Report
● Filing of the Biennial Report to the Secretary of the State of Nebraska
● Be responsible for the management of the finances of the
Association and arrange for an annual audit of the financial records
for the fiscal year, July 1-June 30
● Makes payments as provided for in the budget and outlines in the
● Miscellaneous Payments
○ Reimbursement of costs for supplies (including postage and
printing) when receipts are included
○ Disbursements designated appropriate by Board approval
○ Disbursements related to membership mailings
○ Disbursements related to Annual board ballot
○ Regularly scheduled payments
○ Biennial Report filing fee - January of odd years
○ Payments of scholarship costs submitted by Scholarship chair
after approval by Board
Committee Positions are appointed positions, not elected positions. If you are interested in becoming involved but are not ready to run for a board member position, please consider joining one of our committees. The committee positions do not have a start date of July 1st and can begin at any time.
1) Scholarship Committee (members needed)--responsible for publicizing, receiving
applications, and making recommendations of recipients of scholarship and awards to the NSLA Board.
2) Membership Committee (chair and members needed)--shall devise ways and means of promoting membership and of obtaining new members in the Association.
3) Professional Development Committee (members needed)--this is a new committee. Members will help plan and coordinate events throughout the year.